Bring the beach to your backyard with a luau themed family night! We can help you turn your home into all things fruit, flowers, and fun for a night of seaside vibes and good times. So, say “aloha” with these fun tips and recipes for your backyard luau!
- Bring the water to your backyard with kiddie pools, slip n’ slides, water balloons, and sprinklers! It might not be sitting in the sand with your feet in the water, but it will keep you cool and refreshed!
- Set up your own tiki bar where food is displayed and drinks are made! Decorate with signs, Hawaiian flowers, raffia, and lights for a festive display of all your treats!
- Light up your backyard with tiki torches! It’s the perfect way to brighten up your space with a beach-like ambiance when the sun goes down.
Keep the entertainment going with fun games for the kids!
- Limbo – Play fun music, line up, and get your limbo on! How low can you go? Whoever wins gets a prize from the treasure chest!
- Hula hoop contest – See who can hula hoop the longest for a prize!
- Pineapple bowling – Set up pineapples and use a coconut as the bowling ball for backyard bowling.
- Musical beach towels – Place everyone’s towel in a circle for a beach-themed game of musical chairs!
- Hot coconut – Instead of hot potato, play hot coconut! Turn the music on and when it stops whoever is holding the coconut is out. Keep playing until only one person is left holding the coconut.
What to Wear
Getting ready for a luau is a piece of cake! Throw on a swimsuit, sunglasses, hula skirt, and a lei and you are good to go! Don’t forget the sunscreen – just like at the beach, you don’t want to get an uncomfortable sunburn. You can also check out more sun care tips to make sure you stay safe all summer.
Music is the perfect way to bring another element of island life to your backyard! Press play on a Hawaiian playlist and learn how to hula dance for a fun and memorable activity. Or, put on sounds of crashing waves to make it feel like you are close to the ocean water!
Create sweet or savory dishes that will have you feeling like you’re at a resort.